You knew it was coming.
- Stars – Set Yourself On Fire
- My Morning Jacket – Z
- Clap Your Hands Say Yeah – Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
- Bright Eyes – I’m Wide Awake, It’s Morning
- Bright Eyes – Digital Ash in a Digital Urn
- Bloc Party – Silent Alarm
- Aqualung – Strange and Beautiful
- VHS or Beta – Night on Fire
- Kings of Leon – Aha Shake Heartbreak
- Kanye West – Late Registration
I also thoroughly enjoyed the following this year: Sufjan Stevens’ Illinoise, Ladytron’s Witching Hour, Fiona Apple’s Extraordinary Machine, the soundtrack to The Constant Gardener, DangerDoom’s The Mouse and the Mask, Boards of Canada’s The Campfire Headphase, Wolf Parade’s Apologies to the Queen Mary, The Decembrists’ Picaresque, New Pornographers’ Twin Cinema, Stereophonics’ Language. Sex. Violence. Other?, Broken Social Scene’s Broken Social Scene, M.I.A.’s Arular, The Avalanches’ Since I Left You, and Kaiser Chiefs’ Employment.
- Hustle & Flow
- The Weatherman
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- The Constant Gardener
- Batman Begins
- Layer Cake
- Good Night, and Good Luck
- King Kong
- A History of Violence
- Cinderalla Man (yes, this makes 11, sue me!)
There are quite a few movies from 2005 that I still haven’t seen, including Munich, The Squid and the Whale, Broken Flowers, Junebug, Caché, Downfall, Brokeback Mountain, Nine Lives, Capote, and Syriana. All in due time.